Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bite-size Beliefs from General Conference (Sunday)

General Conference was so interesting to me this weekend since I was looking for ‘bite-size’ beliefs to share with my seminary class and on my blog.

The conference archive can be watched here: www.lds.org

Here are some of the beliefs I captured in the Sunday session:

  • Successful travelers resist all distractions.
  • In days of despair hope is found in the Savior.
  • Rationalization is foolish.
  • We are responsible for our time and what we do with it.
  • After we experience a change in heart we must take good care of it.
  • Stay true and faithful to what is right and blessings will flow.
  • We all have the God given gift of moral agency.
  • Truth is not relative.
  • Self-discipline has eroded so society now tries to keep order by control and regulation.
  • In the end it is only the internal moral compass that controls civility.
  • The lack of internal control by  individuals leads to external control by governments.
  • Intelligent use of agency requires knowledge of the truth.
  • We cannot assume that the future will be like the past.
  • Mere wanting is not a proper guide for conduct.

3 comments:

Kathryn Skaggs said...

As a former Seminary Teacher myself, I always enjoy searching for the principles and doctrines that are taught with such clarity, each General Conference. I love the ones that you have identified here. Thank you for sharing:-)

tDMg

Sharon Cohen said...

I've always called them "refrigerator phrases" but I like "bite-size beliefs" better! Your examples are the dessert-tray from this weekend's conference.

Grandpa Shayne said...

Nice list. Thanks for compiling it. Yep, I taught daly morning seminary in my 20s. So I admire the good work you do.

Popular Posts